Friday, September 4, 2009

School Days

"Back to School, Back to School, I love to go back to school!" Erek sings this song (in his best Adam Sandler voice) as he drops the kids off in the morning. He gets some funny looks from the girls in the front office, and the kids really don't love it but he sings it anyways.

Jaycob started second grade. He was excited mostly to see his friends from last year and I think some days he was just so bored at home. His teacher's name is Mrs. Kenna Friddle. She is really a good teacher, so we are glad to have her. He was really happy to see that Drew is also in his class. He had no problems going he just said good by and he was off.

Logan on the other hand didn't go quite as smooth. Logan started Kindergarten this year. At DIA where Jaycob goes. The Kindergarten program is an all day program, which is nice for me. But Logan doesn't like change and has a hard time adapting to a new teacher (even though his teacher is the one Jaycob has had the last two years), new school, new friends, and new everything else. We knew this wasn't going to be easy, we have been through this before. So we took him in to the class and sat with him for a few minutes. At first he was handling it OK but when I would stand up he burst into tears. I wanted to cry too, it was so sad. He cry for a minute or too while we tried to talk to him. Then all the sudden he got really brave, he pulled in the tears and we said goodbye. I told Erek in the parking lot that I want to cry too. Logan is defiantly a "mama's boy." He was excited to see us a few hours later when we picked him up, he said he had a good day but asked why he had to go back.
Now every day for the last 2 weeks we have been through this, the tears and the questions of why do I have to go to school? Is it separation anxiety or something more. Maybe he is not ready for school. But will he ever be? We just don't understand why it is so hard for him to go. We have come to learn that it is best if we keep the drop off quick and to the point but most of the time I can't cause it just breaks my heart to have him pulling on my shirt or begging me not to leave him. I know he will just need some time before he feels confortable there and doesn't have a problem going. But for now we have to fight the battle each morning.

I know this post has taken forever for me to post, now that it is 2 weeks into the school year. Man life has just gotten so crazy. I thought, "oh it will be so nice to have 2 boys in school all day and just have me and Izzy at home." Well now I seem to fill up my time so fast with taking kids to and from school, homework time, shopping while they are at school, trying to exercise, cleaning, helping out at school and the list goes on and on. I really hope that things will calm down soon and we can get back into a routine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cant believe how big your kids are!So cute! I am sure Logan will do better, I am sure it just takes time. Are they in a charter school? If so do you like it?

lisa winnett said...

Stephanie,

Yeah they are in a charter school. Where they are learning Spanish and English together. It is a really good program, I think that charter schools are good. I like that they have more freedom.

Lisa

Denice said...

Oh Lisa..this just makes me want to cry for both you and Logan! It got better at church though right?? So here's hoping it will get better at school too! I'm sure once he meets some friends, it will get better and he will be like Jaycob before you know it. :) Hang in there and enjoy your girl time. Love you guys!

Clarke and Kamie said...

wow--a second grader and all day kindergarten!!! hopefully things have calmed down (for all of you!). Is the house quiet???